Thursday, September 28, 2017

A hysterical woman threw herself on my back...

The name Agnes Nicholson appears several times in Grant's diary and letters. Born in New Jersey in 1894, she was a friend of his fiancée, Dorothy. She sailed to France in October 1916 to volunteer as an auxiliary nurse with the American Hospital in Paris. When she came out to the front, Grant went to see her.


Friday, September 28, 1917:

 
Bill Sloan and Art Jacob took me over to Landrecourt this A.M. at 4 o’clock where I took the train for Bar-le-Duc to see Agnes Nicholson who was there on a tour of inspection of refugee work before returning to America. I arrived in Bar at 10:30, got a hair cut and went immediately to 99 Boul. de la Rochelle where Agnes was staying. The French maid informed me that she knew no Miss Nicholson. Miss Alexander would see me in the afternoon.

I ate lunch alone, went to Hôpital de la Gare and was directed to an English canteen for further information. There I was told that Miss Nicholson had left the day before. A call on Miss Alexander later verified the fact that Agnes had departed. I was somewhat crest fallen. Inquired about return trains. A train leaving Bar at 4:30 arrived at Landrecourt about 7 P.M. Preferring to spend the night at Bar I reserved a room in Hôtel de la Gare right near the depot planning to take the 6 o’clock in the morning. Took a hot bath and went to bed.

At 12:30 I suddenly woke up to the most awful racket I ever heard. Sirens and steam whistles were going full tilt. Machine guns were blazing away close by and the hum of Boche motors told me right away that we had visitors. It was as light as day out. Then the swish of a falling bomb and the accompanying crash sent me out of bed and into my clothes. The hall ways and stairs were crowded with hysterical men and women. I made my way to the main floor and was just at the mouth of the cellar when a bomb hit close by and the old building rocked on it foundation. A hysterical woman threw herself on my back with such force that the two of us went with exceeding speed into the cellar. I proved to be a good cushion for her for she was undamaged and I only slightly mussed up. The abri was crowded with excited people. No more bombs were dropped so I went back to my bed, which, by the way, was the best bed I have slept in over here in France.
Saturday, September 29:

The excitement of last evening was too great for these people--they forgot to call me so I awoke too late to catch my train. Not wanting to stay over another day I decided to take a chance on bumming rides to Sommedieue. I picked up a ride as far as Naives when the camion had a blow out so I started walking on. When I had walked about 8 miles and was beginning to feel pretty much discouraged a Ford car with four Section 26 (A.F.S.) men headed toward Bar stopped and after talking a minute I decided to return to Bar with them and as far as Ancemont in the evening if none of our cars showed up. At 3:30 we five started to return. We called on Sect.29 on our way home. We got to Ancemont about 6:30 and they fed me there and then sent an ambulance over to Sommedieue with me. Very decent of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment