Monday, October 2, 2017

The pajamas never came, much to my regret.

Without ever having heard from the folks at home about the advisability of joining the army, Grant wrote to his father to explain his actions.


France – Oct. 2, 1917

Dear Dad:-

Last Wednesday the American recruiting officer came around and asked us point blank if we were going to stay in this service under the American Govt. It was our last chance with any hope of staying in a location similar to our present one – in other words, it was our last chance to stay on with the Red Cross work in France under the command of the French army. If our decision was delayed we would probably serve with the American army with the Allentown boys should we decide to stay in the Red Cross work. There are several reasons why we should desire to stay under the French Govt. even as enlisted American privates which reasons I don’t care to go into here. Five out of our section enlisted for the “duration of the present emergency” and I was one. I have been examined and sworn in together with Allen Ahlers, Eric Astlett, Stuart Fraser and Johnny Taylor and our Chief (Bullard). It’s more of an individual matter than anything else. Listen while I tell you why I made my decision: I wanted to come home like everything just merely for the sake of being home. I wanted to see and be with you all again and out of this mess over here. On the other hand I know I would never be satisfied in the States when there is a job for my Govt. on this side, right here and now. Of course, I would be doing something if I returned to help us win this war but it wouldn’t be my bit because here I am on the scene of action, trained and experienced in a department for which trained and experienced men are in demand. I have no more to take me home than millions of other fellows have. I could go into no other department without added cost to the Govt. and then at the risk of being of less value than in my present capacity which work I like. Dorothy wants me and I want Dorothy but how could this want be fixed up by my return? We wouldn’t be separated. Of course, we would be closer and the same risk which is bound to cause worry wouldn’t be present but are these things to be taken into consideration when deciding a question like this? I have tried to be fair all around and my decision was the result. I am now receiving private’s pay in the American army but am still attached to the French Govt. We expect to be taken over in a couple of weeks. What will become of us, I don’t know but in all probability we who have signed on will be collected in a body somewhere and sections on the French plan (20 cars and 40 men) will be formed from the old men with enough Allentown men to complete as many sections as they can make of us. The French Govt. asks for 20 sections so I should think that we, who have already worked with them, would continue to do so. I sincerely hope so and nothing would please me better than to be attached to our present division.

I hope this plan meets with your approval, Dad, and am sure it will when you know conditions as we know them on this side. I expect to have a permission [leave] of a week or so in a few days which will be the last one I will get for a year. Coming home for a visit is quite out of the question.

Don Smith, Fred Wheeler, Rus Stair, Henry Kingman and the two Jacob boys, whom I have played around with more than other, are undecided as to what they will do. I think most of them will return to the States and take a chance on getting what they want. I’m not enough of a gambler for that.

What my address will be I don’t know. Continue sending my mail as previously until notified to the contrary. I have received none of the packages you sent me outside of newspapers. The pajamas never came, much to my regret. Your money has been very ample. I still have your last shipment of 500 francs untouched. After one becomes accustomed to the food over here there is little need for his spending money except for souvenirs of various kinds. It is quite a favorite stunt to have the various trophies of war made up into some useful article by the poilus, some of whom are ex-jewelers and very clever. For a small sum they do very nice work. I had a couple of vases made out of two brass shells which I picked up at Verdun. They are quite pretty. Another stunt is having aluminum rings made with a Boche button for a seal. I hope I may get some of these things home to you.

It doesn’t seem possible to me that this war can hang on much longer. I predict that a year from now will see peace once more. I don’t imagine I know as much about recent current topics as you do in the States. We hear very little out here. But it doesn’t seem possible that Russia’s present trouble can continue long without a decided move on the part of Japan. With America, England, France and Russia or Japan and Italy all fighting together after a severe winter which is bound to be harder on Germany than any of the other countries I can’t see how they are going to face another spring drive. They are too weak to launch an effective drive themselves even now. While the Americans won’t be worth much at first it won’t be long before they will be as good as the Canadians and everybody knows over here that the Canadian troops are as much feared by the Boche as any troops.

The American troops on this side are very busy but I do wish they were training on a quiet front in actual trenches instead of so far behind the lines. It would be much better for them and much better for the French troops who are beginning to get impatient. The Frenchman thinks that 3 mos. is enough to train any man to be a soldier not realizing that we hadn’t even a foundation on which to start, and seeing so many Americans on this side for so long naturally makes them wonder whether we are over here just for fun or to fight.

I am writing this letter in the front seat of my car at one of our posts. Things are very quiet here today. We have been here now for 18 hours and haven’t yet received a wounded man. The country around here is beautiful, particularly now that the trees have started to turn. It is very hilly and the hills are very heavily wooded with hard woods – mostly maple. It’s a pleasure to come up here on duty because it is so beautiful. I imagine I am home on some kind of a camping party where holes in the ground take the place of tents and the banging of batteries the blasting in some nearby iron mine. It takes a pretty good imagination sometimes but last night it worked so well that I dreamed all night of home. Everything was so real that it took me several seconds to realize that I was still in France when I woke up. Everything was just as I had left it. You all looked and acted the same. Rev. Castles was also there because there’s a little French brancardier out here who reminds me of Mr. Castles.

I hope you will not disapprove of my decision. I acted in the best way I knew. I wish that Dorothy were over here so that I could see her on my permissions.

Much love,Grant.

No comments:

Post a Comment