Tuesday, September 12, 2017

My beautiful mustache is a thing of the past and I miss it as one would miss a dear friend.

A hundred years ago, while still on R&R in the village of Laheycourt, Grant wrote home to his family, wondering what his next move should be.

Wednesday – Sept. 12, 1917

Dear People:-


Have been waiting for a couple of days in hopes of receiving a letter from you giving me some information regarding this situation in America and some advice a
s to what you would have me do when I am through over here. I have not received a letter from you since Aug. 27 and that was a nice letter from Dad telling me that I was a queer lover and saying that he was sending a check two days later. I would like the check and also some news. 

I’m up a tree. In two more weeks we are going to have to decide what we are going to do. I acted on my own initiative and came over here for this service in May. I did so because I thought it was the best way to solve many problems. I didn’t expect your hearty support from the beginning but did think that before my six months was up you would see the wisdom in my move. I don’t know how mother would feel about my signing on for a longer period over here but I am of the impression that she would dislike it and I know Dorothy would. When it was announced that this organization was going to be militarized I immediately decided that my move was to return as soon as possible and take a chance on being drafted. From what we know over here the chances are 10 to 1 in favor of our being pulled in as soon as we set foot on American soil if not before, in fact it has been announced that we are to register the first time we are in Paris. Most all of the fellows are looking up the various departments on this side and many are applying into those best liked. Very few have any idea that they will return to America. I have listened to the discussions with much interest but am as yet neutral . Of course the chances for real vital service on this side are much greater than on your side and there are any number of American schools on this side preparing Americans for future service. Of course the most popular department is aviation, both army and navy, but I know you would never sanction such a decision on my part. What shall be my move?

Don Smith is looking up several things but would like to return to the States for a couple of months before serving. Such a plan would suit me to perfection if it could be arranged. The situation with me now, then, is about as follows: to return to America as soon as I am released from this service regardless of whether or not I am able to get into what I want over here for a later period. I shall continue to look around, however, and if I find something which meets my fancy I shall try to get back into it after a couple of months’ leave. I have no idea what that service might be but I do know it won’t be aviation. Now, then, the chances are very strongly in favor of my being on board a boat for America by the time this letter reaches you. It is reported that we will not go to the front again as a volunteer section. The Paris office refused to replace our four vacancies because they claimed we would be taken over in 10 days. We are scheduled to move to the front about 18 km from Verdun with our division on next Monday. I wonder who will win. Don Smith and I have already formulated dreams of returning to America together on Oct. 6.

Later – Thursday – Sept. 13-


Have cultivated a decided taste for the lazy life of late. We have all been more or less affected by this easy do-nothing life. I am now writing you upon a little table in the center of our tent, by lantern light, surrounded on three sides by enthusiastic Canfield players. Spent this morning in shaving and cleaning up generally. My beautiful mustache is a thing of the past and I miss it as one would miss a dear friend. At meal time alone did we disagree. This P.M. Henry Kingman and I trimmed “Russ” Stair and Don Smith at bridge and then took a long walk through the dense woods near our camp. We are a happy family here in camp, so much so that our chief hardly recognized his own men upon returning from his permission. Repos away from shells, destruction and corruption and with regular mail makes a big difference in spirits.

Now it’s time for lights out so I will finish this tomorrow and get it off on the noon mail – Good night.

Friday A.M. – 8:30

Am writing in bed. It’s raining like everything outside so there is no use in getting up. Johnny got breakfast for the gang. It consisted of hot coffee, confiture and French army bread. The food has held up pretty well but we have spent some money on the side in order to satisfy our more or less extravagant tastes cultivated in the food of the old U.S.A. – the land of milk and honey. Extras consist of such things as fresh bread, good confiture, chocolate and wine. Water fit to drink is not the most common thing in France and some times we are forced to drink beer and wine for several weeks in succession. The water at Brabant-le-Roi made us all sick. Here, thank goodness, we have all the fresh water we want if we are willing to walk far enough for it. Most of us are.

This will be all for now. I do wish a letter would come from you.

Much love,

Grant.

Same address.

No comments:

Post a Comment