Monday, September 25, 2017

I like this work and have a fairly good start; why leave it?

Tuesday, September 25, 1917:

The only thing of consequence today was the appearance of an American lieutenant who is recruiting Red Cross sections. He made us a little speech in which he said nothing. Many questions were fired at him all of which he answered with “probably” – “it is the plan”, etc.

When asked if these volunteer sections already with the French Government would be left so he answered with a severe criticism of the attitude we were taking of wanting a guarantee of most favorable condition in our work or else we “wouldn’t play.”

“America is at war with Germany,” he said, “and it’s up to you Americans who haven’t something at home making it impossible for you to stay in the service to continue in this work most helpful to your Government.”

This made the men pretty sore and Bill Sloan rose up and said that every man in the section intended to do something for his Government, but there are certain departments more desired than others and these questions were asked simply for the purpose of having something definite as a basis to work on. If we can’t stay with our 42nd Division with whom we have worked so far and of whom we are very proud there are other branches of the work which many men had rather get into. The lieutenant left to return on the following day for our answers.

An indignation meeting of the men was held after he had gone and he was criticized up the front and down the back. The men seem to feel that they aren’t receiving due consideration. They have worked with the French Government and are experienced men. Is it fair that we should be privates with the Allentown men and have as our officers men without experience, but merely a theoretical training in America? We disbanded and the crowd went off in groups to discuss and cuss between themselves.


I pulled off into the woods alone and there had it out with myself. I would like to return to America, of course. I have a family that I think the world of and a young lady whom I would gladly die for if she said the word. But haven’t the other fellows the same? Why should this enter into my decision at all? Could I do more for my country by returning? No, I don’t think so. I have received training and have had experience in this department. I have had the same in no other department and to shift would be to ask the govt. to expend more money on me with no assurance of good results. It is out of the question for me to return and go back to civil life should I evade the draft. I could never be happy in any “embusqué” job [a military job out of danger]. Of course, someone has to do it, but a man with good physical strength and a few brains oughtn’t to feel it his duty. I am the only member of our family who is so situated that he can act in this present capacity. I like this work and have a fairly good start; why leave it?

No comments:

Post a Comment