Friday, June 30, 2017

My new aide is a young fellow named John Taylor...

On this day, Grant wrote in his diary about John Henry Taylor (1899-1994), who was his aide on his ambulances through much of WWI. Taylor's father was a naturalized U.S. citizen from England, and Taylor visited relatives in the U.K. several times during the war. 

Saturday, June 30, 1917:

Moved our barracks today to a fine building over near our eating place and near the cars. It is clean and convenient. No news as to when we are going out. Spent the day in loafing around the car.


Was shifted from aide on 12 to driver on 17. Sorry to leave Fritz Wheeler, but glad to have a car of my own. My new aide is a young fellow named John Taylor from Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, formerly of New York. He is just 17 years old with little experience. He is apparently of a very fine family for he is a peach. It is reported that his father made him come over and get in this thing. He was on hospital detail when I was there so I feel I know him pretty well. He should have companions and someone to sort of look after him. I think I am his friend. I asked Jack Townsend as soon as I knew I was to be shifted to put me on with him if he could so arrange it.

Men my age do get rough especially on a job of this kind. Their talk is rough, their actions rough, their morals lowered. For a kid so young as Johnnie it is not helpful and if he should chance to be of weak material, which I doubt, it would be very bad for him. So I say he needs someone to talk to him in his own way and do the things he likes to do in order to keep him happy. The boys in 61 are fine fellows, but older and more experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment