Saturday, July 1, 2017

Sister Marion

Marion Willard Everett (1891-1978) was Grant's only sister, and they wrote each other frequently throughout the First World War. Her teenage life in Mankato was fictionalized by her friend, Maud Hart Lovelace, in Carney's House Party (1949), one of the Deep Valley books. Marion was the inspiration for the title character, Carney Sibley, and Grant that of her brother, Hunter.

Sunday – July 1, 1917

Dear Sis:-

Grant and Marion before the war.
Your good letter was received some time back. I was at Sandricourt when it came. A week ago today we had orders to go to the front. Monday we–-Section 61, the first to leave the Sandricourt Base-–went to Paris where we stayed until 5 P.M. when we took a train for Dijon. We arrived here Tuesday A.M. and have been here in Dijon ever since. Our cars have been assigned to us and we are now ready for service. Yes, it has been a long preparation-–too long. About a month of our time is up already and we haven’t done a thing but enjoy ourselves. This morning, however, we received orders to proceed to the front tomorrow at 4 A.M. Where, we have no idea.

Dijon is a town of about 100,000 and perhaps one of the best in France. We are the first Americans to arrive here and the town is ours. The French people are very nice to us indeed. It’s amazing how many of these people can talk English. We go around trying to make ourselves understood in French and are often asked to speak in English that we may be understood. As I write you now on the steering wheel of my car there is a young French boy talking English with my aide here beside me. He talks very well indeed.

Section 61 is equipped with 20 Fiat ambulances, one pilot car for our Lieutenant and Section chief and one camion for our kitchen supplies. This week has been spent in looking the cars all over, checking up equipment and motor tests. I was first put on as aide to a Minneapolis boy by the name of Fred Wheeler but was shifted yesterday to car #153405 as driver with a young boy from New York as my aide. He is a very nice young chap just out of High School.
I call him Johnnie so that when I speak of Johnnie you will know who I mean. It seems too bad that such a youngster should be allowed to come over here at this time. Yesterday when I learned that I was to be shifted to driver I asked to be put on his car in hopes that I may be of some help to him. He is willing and physically strong and I think we will get along well together.

As to my needs over here. I am completely equipped now. The French Govt. have been very liberal in their donations so far and we are fixed up beyond complaint for the present. We have had two heavy winter overcoats issued us. You would laugh if you could see us all togged out in our sheep-skins, steel helmets, gas masks and goggles. We look like a bunch of ghosts. I don’t expect there will be much need for either the helmets or masks although the former are very convenient in rainy weather.

I wish I could tell you more about conditions over here but every piece of our mail is censored and we are requested to say nothing regarding conditions. The food is good and sufficient but I do long for some American dishes. Much of our amusement consists of descriptions of delicious dishes we once had in the States. “How would you like,” etc., etc.?

Now I must quit and go to mess. This has been a very messie Sunday, everything considered.

Am well and happy. One month of my time is up. Thank you for the letter, Sis, and do it again when you have time.

Wishing you all kinds of enjoyment on your summer plans, I am, as ever

Yours with love,

Grant.

No comments:

Post a Comment