Sunday, June 25, 2017

Felt like a million dollars.

Monday, June 25, 1917:

At 8:30 this morning we lined up for the final roll call before leaving Sandricourt. Section 61 is made up of 45 fellows. They look pretty fine in their uniforms. We walked about 3 miles to Bornel where we caught the 9:30 train for Paris. Colonel Whyte saw us off and gave us a farewell speech which was very fatherly and full of advice. We were not as sorry to leave as he would like to have had us, I think.

11 o’clock found us in Paris. Don Smith, Happy Ahlers, “Jake” Jacob and myself had a dandy meal at Cafe de la Paix. After dinner I went to Hotel Sylvia where I got my tobacco, a bath and clean clothes and shave. Felt like a million dollars. At 4:30 I met Miss Mullen, Mlle. Floch, Tish and “Cuppie” Sharp at the Ritz where we had tea. “Cuppie” and I had to leave for our train at 5 so we didn’t visit very long. Miss Mullen insisted on making it her party.

We left Paris for Dijon at 6:30, 2nd class.

No comments:

Post a Comment