Saturday, June 24, 2017

I dislike leaving this place very much...

When we last heard from Grant two weeks ago he was laid up with a sprained ankle and unable to take part in all the training and camaraderie with his fellow volunteers. Now he prepares to leave Sandricourt and start his work.




 


Sunday, June 24, 1917

Dear People:-

Four days on my own feet without assistance and feeling fine. I surely was glad to leave the hospital. Have gotten back into the regular fatigue details, though they haven’t assigned me anything very severe as yet. Am wearing a brace on my ankle but it holds up very well without it.

Tomorrow A.M. about 40 of us leave for Paris. We are called Section 61 and leave for the front tomorrow night. Our whole section is to be equipped with Fiat cars which are said to be waiting for us at our destination “somewhere in France.” They are all new cars for which we are duly grateful. I am very glad we aren’t driving Fords as most of the sections are and will be.

There is considerable work to be done in preparation for the section’s departure. We aren’t allowed to carry much baggage with us so I have been busy today looking over and sorting my possessions, polishing up my uniform and labeling everything I intend to take with me.

In some ways I dislike leaving this place very much – 1st, because of its beauty, 2nd, because there is an awfully nice crowd of fellows here and leaving means parting with many perhaps for good, 3rd, because I have hardly had time to see as much of the surrounding country and chateaux as I would like. But offsetting all this is the fact that we go from here into the service for which we came and Section 61, in my estimation, is made up of the cream of the camp. I was very fortunate to have the opportunity to be in one of them. [Allen "Happy"] Ahlers and Don Smith are in 61 and all of the fellows in room A where I am living and with whom I have associated most while where.

Of course, the sections will be separated all along the front. The American Red Cross is gradually taking over the French Ambulance Service and as one of their section withdraws we replace it. Each section serves a Division. It is reported that the reason we have been delayed this long is because the Division which has us in charge is in – or rather, has been – in indefinite repos and that we have had to wait for orders from the French Government. Our section leader was out last week to look us over and check up our equipment. He seems like a very nice man and surely made a strong impression on the fellows. I was in the hospital when he came so couldn’t appear for kit inspection. He came up to the hospital to look mine over and I had a chance to talk with him. He’s a real man.

Now I must quit for they want the table I am writing on. Address as before.

Much love,

Grant.


7 Rue François Premier,
Paris, France.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder what he means by "a real man"? Thanks for keeping this in front of us.

    ReplyDelete