Monday, August 7, 2017

Today was a great day in my young life.

Unbeknownst to him, Grant Willard's days of calm and boredom were soon to be at an end. Attached to the French Army's 42nd Infantry Division, Section Sixty-One was encamped in the small town of Laheycourt, southwest of the bastion of Verdun. In two days they'd be in the thick of the war.
 
Tuesday, August 7, 1917:

Revigny-sur-Ornain, 2010
Rained all day. No excitement. This evening the two Jacob boys, Fraser and myself walked to Revigny[-sur-Ornain]. Revigny is a town once in the hands of the Germans and when retaken by the French early in 1915 they shot the town up pretty badly. There is hardly a building left standing. In some places the remaining walks have been used as shelters for small lean-tos where various articles are sold.

Today was a great day in my young life. Managed to get Dad’s 300 franc draft changed and was able to buy some tobacco and pencils. Back and in bed by 9 P.M.

Wednesday, August 8:

Nothing new except that I received two wonderful letters from Dot. Her letters are very well written, but God they make me homesick. I fret until I get one and then I go down in the depths of despair and curse myself for ever coming over here when one finally comes. However, I’m still convinced that I made the proper move when I came over here. If she holds on now until I return it will surely have been sufficient test. I don’t know what I would do if it didn’t come through alright now.

Went to Revigny again tonight after working on the car most all day and bought coffee and cake. The stock of eatables has decreased since we have approached the front and now milk and milk chocolate are rare treats. Eggs are also very scarce.

No comments:

Post a Comment