Thursday, August 31, 2017

Got a dandy letter from Dad and a peach from Dot.

Dorothy Houghton, Grant's future wife, grew up in shabby-genteel surroundings in Ambler, Pennsylvania. While Grant was serving in France, Dorothy traveled to Minnesota to spend a holiday with her future in-laws. A motor trip of the state ensued.

Friday, August 31, 1917:

Feeling fine today. Cold is much better and am very much rested. The weather has been too poor for avions so we have slept in peace. Loafed most of the day. Played horse-shoe, bridge and cleaned up my duffle-bags. Got a dandy letter from Dad and a peach from Dot. Dad likes Dot, Mother wept when she left Mankato, Johnny has almost taken her away from me, Sis has always stuck up for her and Harold has expressed no opinion whatever. Why shouldn’t I be the happiest mortal on earth. I believe I could be if this damnable war hadn’t smashed all my plans. And even now I’m as helpless about the future as I every was. Dad made the statement that my letters to Dot were so “matter of fact” that he hardly believed that I could have passed through the violent love affair that he and Mother had. Ha Ha! How little he knows about this affair. Conditions have been so entirely different in this particular case that I’m afraid no one will ever understand why it was necessary for me to take the course I have taken. If they can’t see it I’m sure they will never know because it can’t be explained. Maybe I’m wrong, but I’m as sure of myself now as ever though I yearn to get back to America now as I feel it is high time for further development.

Mr. Norton brought Major Murphy of the American Red Cross service out to talk to us tonight. He didn’t make much of a hit with the fellows. In brief his speech was very general and vague in every detail. He didn’t know how long it would be before we would be taken over, but that we would continue to work for the French Government temporarily and he urged that those of us who could would sign up for the remainder of the war. The nature of the changes to be made by the American Government when the work was taken over he was unable to say anything. He didn’t even know how long it would be before the new system would be working. He told us nothing we didn’t already know. A recruiting officer will be around in a day or two to check up on the men who want to leave. Section 61 is about to pass out of existence--of that I feel certain. Every man wants to get out of this place as fast as he can.

Miss Mullen sent Sharp and I each a cake today which we ate together with the rest of tent #2 tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment