Sunday, September 30, 2018

The news from the front these days is so encouraging it makes one hold his breath for fear the tide will turn.

While convalescing in Paris, Grant wrote to his only sister, Marion Willard (1891-1978). As many of the readers of this blog know, Marion's college days were fictionalized by her friend, Maud Hart Lovelace, in a book called Carney's House Party (1949). Marion was the inspiration for the title character, Carney Sibley, and Grant that of her brother, Hunter. And in this letter, Grant mentions his two brothers who were also characters in the book: Harold "Tib" Willard (Gerald Sibley) and John "Johnnie" Willard (Bobbie Sibley).

Sunday – September 30, 1918

Dear Sis:-
Willard Home at 609 S. Broad St in Mankato

Yours of Aug. 18 reached me here after having been forwarded from the section. You see I am in this convalescent home spending a most luxurious vacation in and out of bed. My jaundice is mending and it is whispered about that I may fully recover most any minute. Just at present I am feeling very pert-like.  I can look the world square in the face and just shout for pure joy. Why all this exuberance? Well, I’ll tell you. I was put on regular diet the other day and such meals as they serve at this place I’ve never tasted since pulling out from 609 So. Broad St. And today we had chicken with a capital “C”. Then to finish up they made use eat some chocolate ice cream. Wow! But this place is a rotten place to come to to recuperate. It makes a fellow feel worse for fear the doctor will proclaim him well enough to return to his section. And such nice and agreeable people too. They bring you books and things--always working to make one comfortable. It’s a shame there are such things as Germans to bring this life for us fellows to a close. Expect to go back to work in a few days.

Yesterday was my first day out of here and I thought wise to go to the dentist and have my teeth looked at. Thought there was trouble with a crown which I carry in my mouth. After X-raying the roots the doctor concluded the trouble was in a molar which had to come out. So he killed my jaw, tongue and throat and then after breaking my jaw two or three times he crawled out of my mouth dragging the tooth behind him. You see, I think the tooth had started down in my liver somewhere. Anyway, I thought he had made a mistake and was pulling my liver instead of my tooth. But he was right and I was wrong and today I have full use of my jaw and liver.

The news from the front these days is so encouraging it makes one hold his breath for fear the tide will turn. Guess I’ll begin to pack my duds for home. Home! What a blessed word!  Home and Mother! And Dot! Yes, and you too, Sis, even though you do belong to another man now. And poor Tib! Gee, I do feel sorry for him, Sis. I can guess how he must feel about not coming over. But he’s doing the best thing he can do. And Johnnie! How’s the little rascal anyway? I suppose he’ll be able to knock his big brother out for the count when I get back.
Dorothy "Dot" Houghton

If Dot hadn’t been a “dear kid”, Sis, I might have been a product of one of those officer training camps in the States. And worse yet I might have been detained on that side and never gotten over here. So you see we have a great many things to thank the “dear kid” for. She has been perfectly wonderful to me over here with her letters, packages and books. The staff of life! And with all her plans for the future she makes my head swim with the pure joy of thinking of what is in store for me après la guerre. But with all you are doing to push this war along I don’t think you need feel lazy at what Dot is doing. You are all doing more than your bit and that is just what’s making the allies push this things successfully. Don’t you forget that!

Have kept my eyes open constantly for familiar faces here in Paris but haven’t yet met a soul I knew before I came over. Am going in town this P.M. for the sole purpose to looking around some more.

Just heard from your Bill from Marseilles.  He seems to be happier than while at Tours though I expect he would like to be up front again. He’s traveling in style these days.  Probably in line for a promotion or something.

Now I must quit before writer’s cramp sets in.

Love to all,

Grant.

No comments:

Post a Comment