Saturday, September 22, 2018

Am yellow like a sunrise today.

Due to his jaundiced condition, Grant returned to the French capital for the first time in seven months. But I'm certain it was a different place for him this time. His friend, Emma Mullen, whose lively company he always enjoyed while in Paris, had been killed in a bombardment the previous March. And rather than being there to take in the sights, he was there for bed rest.  

Saturday, September 21, 1918:

Toul
Am yellow like a sunrise today. Johnnie’s fever still flaming so he was taken to Toul this P.M. much against the poor kid’s wish and I am booked for tonight’s train for Paris.


Sunday, September 22:

Our lieut. took me to Nancy tonight in his car and put me in a berth which he had reserved in his own name. My first berth in France and I passed as comfortable a night as was possible under the circumstances. 


47 rue Ponthieu in 2010
Arrived in Paris about 9:30 this morning. Caught a taxi for 47 rue Ponthieu--Am. Army H.Q. with the French Army--where Capt. Whitney inspected me and sent me to 21 rue Raynouard to be looked after by Mrs. McDonald. I was put to bed in a little Swiss Chalet which is being used for a hospital until the larger quarters are made ready for the winter. Am very comfortable. A young chap by the name of Fooch from Indiana looks after us. There are seven or eight of us here together--all ambulance men convalescing from various and numerous diseases.

Get my hot milk and toast regularly three times a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment