Thursday, August 30, 2018

Grant becomes the unit's grease monkey for a spell.


Friday, August 30, 1918:

Was initiated this morning into the esteemed order of the mechanics for S.S.U. 647. Rority, a boy from Allentown, who joined us last February, has been acting as tire, gasoline, oil and general shop “puss boy” for us since he joined us and for some time has been particularly anxious to get on a car. Seven months on a job of that kind, especially when a man doesn’t like his work and isn’t adapted to it, is too much and is apt to gnaw on a man’s sweet disposition. I, on the other hand, have been driving a car over here for 15 months almost constantly with a shift every 48 hours. Mine was the best job of the two, but even it gets boresome. Sometime ago I put the proposition up to McCrackin and yesterday he told me I could change places with Rority for awhile until I got sick of the job. I suppose I’ll soon tire of my new job and want my car back again. But in the meantime, I can at least unpack my bags and have a place -- a regular place -- to hang my clothes and a regular bed in which to sleep. If the report, that we are soon to see a push on this front, is true I rather imagine I will get my car back again. Everybody will have a chance then. Action on this front means trouble, for this place could be a hell-hole and I guess the Boche are capable of making it one.

Jack Swain has been awarded the D.S.C. making three now in our section to receive this citation out of the five awarded to the whole American Ambulance service in France. Tod Gillett of course got the cross for what he was attempting to do when he was killed; Jack got his for trying to rescue Tod under heavy barrage before he was further mutilated; Leo McGuire got his for his brilliant work in the Seicheprey affair when his car was shot out from in under him and he reported in to headquarters later asking for another car with which to return to this post.

News from the west is most encouraging. Noyon, Ham, Bapaume are the principal cities now in our hands since day before yesterday. PĂ©ronne will probably be captured today.


Had a delightful swim in the Moselle this P.M. Rather cold, but refreshing. Dunlap, Swain, Kirkpatrick, Johnnie Taylor, Rority, Anderson and myself. Swell diving-board and swing.

No mail! None for two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment