Friday, August 17, 2018

Every man in the outfit would take a car and drive into Berlin this afternoon...

When Grant Willard arrived in France in May 1917, it was as an American civilian; he was a volunteer with the American Volunteer Motor Ambulance Corps, better known as the Norton-Harjes Corps. He wore a uniform but it was devoid of rank--he was just Volunteer Willard.

Three months later when all the volunteer ambulance outfits were melded into the U.S. Army, Grant had to decide whether to quit driving and return to the U.S., or stay in France and sign up for up for some service in the American Army, or continue as an ambulance driver for the same. With his decision to join the army came the lowly rank of "private." The presence of a military hierarchy posed a dilemma for him and his fellow former volunteers. Suddenly some advanced up the hierarchy and outranked their comrades. Grant analyses this dilemma in this letter he wrote to his mother ninety-four years ago today.

Convois Autos.,
S.S.U. 647,
Par B.C.M.,
France.

Saturday – Aug. 17, 1918


Dear Mother:-


As I wrote Dad, we were in an auto park repairing our cars. Yesterday we moved again but not very far. Things are still in a bit of a mess. I don’t think we will stay in this particular location very long. Our barracks here are poor and I’m sure the Lieutenant is far from satisfied.


The text of this letter is going to be founded on a  statement made by Dot in her last letter to me: “I’m rejoicing with you over the change in Lieutenants, and expect great things to happen, as a result. I knew before something was wrong.” I’m wondering if you people are thinking the same thing. It is natural to suppose that after so many boys and men whom you know and with whom we kids used to pal have come to France as officers with nowhere near the training and experience that we have had that you should be expecting your son to be something more than a mere 1st class private with a year and a half’s experience at the front. Of course it seems funny to you and there are several things that we over here have never been able to explain. Sometimes, when I look at the young officers of other organizations, I can hardly help boiling over with wrath. But I’m going astray from my topic. I think I can safely say that unless the war should continue 20 years longer you may be prepared to receive your boy, a 1st class private, when he returns to American unless, of course, he should transfer into some other branch of the work as he wanted to do a long time ago. Things have turned out exactly as I thought they would when I tried to transfer into aviation or artillery last November. I did this more because I knew you would all be expecting to see me return with a bar at least and not because I myself wanted one particularly. Frankly, I’m more contented right now than I would possibly be anywhere else in the army. I only grow a bit nervous when I think of returning home and meeting all those young officers. It’s a hard situation to explain, Mother, but it’s an actual one. Just to show you that I haven’t gone completely “to the dogs” let me tell you again of a few of the the boys in our outfit whose stories I chance to know. 

Horn Snader getting provisions.

Snader, a man 35 years old; a man of real mentality, character and education; a natural leader of men having led men in various fields all his life. He knows France, French and has been doing front work in France for three years. He’s a 1st class private in our section.

Leo McGuire, Oklahoma-–Croix-de-Guerre and D.S.C.--has been over here for 3 years doing volunteer ambulance work with Norton-Harjes; very popular, hard working--splendid material for an officer and he would need very little training. 1st Cl. Pvt. 


Oh well, what’s the use of going through the list? I could name at least 20 men of this command who come from the finest families and have had very liberal educations and who would have made good officers, excellent officers, had they been appointed at the proper time. Now I doubt very much if a single man among these 20 would take a commission from our central bureau if it was served to him on a gold platter unless every man of that 20 were offered the same thing. We’re too close. We’re like a big family or club. We have our insignia and seal, a copy of which I will send you later. There is no end of pride in our organization. Our work is a pleasure as much as our base-ball, soccer, orchestra and jazz-band. Every man in the outfit would take a car and drive into Berlin this afternoon if the Lieutenant so much as intimated that he would like it it we would. That’s the kind of an organization we have and we’re too proud of it to smash it up.

Condemn me if you like but while Hap, Fraser, and I were talking this very thing over the other night we came to the unanimous decision that, unless every man in our outfit who deserved it, was offered a chance at a commission that not one of us was in favor of accepting a chance if offered us. We have seen enough army life to know when to leave well-enough alone. If a man is partially contented he ought to be satisfied in this man’s army or in any man’s army – they’re all the same.


Hap and I thought we had better nip this thing in the bud before it spread too far with you people. I wonder if you will ever be able to understand. Frankly I should be very much surprised if any of us, excepting Jack Kendrick, should we stay on in the ambulance service to the end of the war, ever wear a shoulder strap. Jack was a sergeant and was sent into school. He is still a sgt. but I don’t think he will be very long.


Talk this over with Dad and let me hear what you think of it. Someday I can shed a lot more light on this puzzling problem than I can from this side of the sea.



Richard Norton (1872-1918)
You probably read of Mr. Richard Norton’s death a few weeks ago. Meningitis, and it took him after only a day’s illness. Very, very sad. He would far rather had died from wounds while helping the allied cause than in such a manner.

Am enclosing a few pictures. It is my desire to send as many pictures to you to keep for me as the censor will permit. They are hard to carry around and keep in good condition.


Much love,

Grant.

No comments:

Post a Comment