Monday, May 15, 2017

Dorothy is a perfect wonder...

Ambler, Pa.,

May 15, 1917

Mother dear:-

After leaving New York City last Friday I came straight for Ambler and here I’ve been ever since and expect to be until Thursday A.M. when I return to New York to pack what I purchased last week. Physically I am weller than ever now. Mentally and spiritually I am the happiest man alive and I defy anyone to contradict that statement. Dorothy is a perfect wonder and I love her with a love that I never knew was possible until last week.

When in New York last week I fixed up my passport which required much red-tape, as given my steamer ticket and I bought most of my equipment. I spent close on to $50 on it but $26.35 of it is furnished by the corps so you see I am getting out of it very easily. There are a few more little things to be gotten and much packing to be done. I leave here Thursday A.M. to be in New York by 10 A.M. and to stay until Saturday P.M. at one o’clock when I board the French liner Chicago from the French pier on 57th St. I am doing my packing at the Hutchinsons who have been very, very nice to me.

Upon my second arrival here last Friday, Dot met me at the station and with the rest of the family, we drove in a car to Valley Forge. It was a beautiful drive on a glorious day and one which will long be remembered. Saturday we all went to Atlantic City staying until 3:00 P.M. Sunday. I can’t stop to tell you the wonders of that place and the perfectly splendid time we had. That ocean breeze would cure any ailment whatsoever. We were met at this end of our return trip by a friend of the family who took us for a beautiful drive in his car to Ambler. Yesterday I got a little horse from the livery and Dot and I drove to Valley Green after her school was over. The day was perfect, the scenery beautiful and everything progressed without a hitch. We took dinner at an old inn by the road and got the most wonderful steak I ever put my jaws into. We got home about 10:30 last evening. In about an hour we leave for Philadelphia where we meet the girls and Mrs. Houghton says she is going to give us a party. What it will be I don’t know. Mother, it has been awfully hard for her to like me but she has been splendid about it all. You see I’m a westerner and am out here after one of the two things that have been nearest and dearest to her for all these years and she naturally was strongly prejudiced against me even before I came. She tries hard not to show it but I can see it and feel it.

This evening one of the Penn. U. students and friend of this family has invited us to a function at the U. Tomorrow there will be a little party with Marguerite Sibley after school and in the morning I leave for New York. (Thurs.)

Now, Mother dear, please don’t worry about me. Mr. Norton said to worry was foolish because nothing would happen. I will cable you immediately upon my arrival in France. Mr. Norton said for you not to expect to hear from me before three weeks after my departure. He said we may arrive in 7 or 8 days and again it may take two weeks and even more, that censorship on cables is so strict that they are very slow in coming. I am cabling you and Dot. Will you please notify the Hutchinsons – no, I’ll get Dot to do that, it will cost less from here.

My addresses will be as follows:-

Cable:-

Volunteer Willard,
Amredcross, Paris

Mail:-

Volunteer Grant R. Willard,
American Red Cross Ambulance,
Rue François Premier,
Paris

Parcels:-

War Relief Clearing House,
40 Wall Str., New York City.

I will try to get a copy of shipping directions so that you will know what you can send me and just how to do it.

Now I must leave you. I think probably you will hear from me again before I sail but if I shouldn’t find the time here’s a farewell. Please don’t worry about me but think of the good which is bound to come from it all. In six months I’ll be back – I hope to stay.

If you have room for Dorothy on your auto trip and would care to have her come along I’m sure she would appreciate an invitation from you and as long as her family will be west she might consent to go with you. Suit yourself on this score, however.

All kinds of love from the happiest man in the world,

Grant.

No comments:

Post a Comment