Monday, April 22, 2019

Shall not cable when we leave because I am broke flat and so is everybody else.

Homesick, broke and frustrated, Grant tells his troubles to his family in Mankato.

Nantes, France

April 22, 1919

Dearest Family:-


If I were only in a position to say this to you instead of writing it to you I would be the happiest boy in all the world.  But I’m not so why crab?
Willard home, Mankato, MN

We all hoped and believed that when we left Bretzenheim on the 26th of last month we would not have another opportunity of writing letters from this continent but the army has decreed otherwise.  We are here in Nantes awaiting shipping orders and have been since April 9th.  Everything looks blue and we are all feeling blue.  We are under stiff military rules and regulations with little time and no place to play.  It would not have been so bad if we had arrived down here expecting to be treated thusly but we weren’t prepared.  Like children we expected to be shipped immediately.  The let-down has been far from easy.  

On April 14th I sent the following cable to Dot: “Section held at port.  Home soon.  Forward folks.”  I was too near “broke” to send two cables and foolish enough to believe rumors of an early get-away.  In this way I account for and excuse the “home soon” and “forward folks”.  I hope the cable reached you.  Dot should have received it on April 15.


On the evening of April 14 I was keeping time at a basket ball game in the YMCA at Nantes when a large YMCA man came up and introduced himself as Guy Smith.  I’m ashamed to say that I didn’t know him and had his introductory speech not given me ground to stand on I should have been very much embarrassed because I felt that he was someone I should know very well.  We had quite a visit.  He seems to be doing a big work as athletic director in this district and likes his work but is very anxious to get home.  So say we all of us!  He wanted me to be sure to remember him to you with his very best regards.


Grant with Hap Ahlers (left)

Hap is well and crabbing with the rest of us.  He cabled his family the same day I did.


As to our departure there are no present reliable rumors.  I can only say that we all sincerely hope that we are on American soil before this letter reaches you.


Am well and kicking—thinking hard of the future.  Will be demobilized in the east somewhere if possible.  Hope to see some of the family there when we arrive but wouldn’t advise your leaving Mankato to see me yet awhile.


All kinds of love,


Your homesick son,

Grant.

P.S.:--Shall not cable when we leave because I am broke flat and so is everybody else.---GRW.

No comments:

Post a Comment