Thursday, January 24, 2019

Some of us are putting on flesh (I’m gaining daily) and have never felt better, physically, in our lives.


As my readers know, Grant's father, William D. Willard (1867-1952), was cashier of the First National Bank of Mankato, Minnesota, and had proposed that his eldest son come work as his assistant after his return from war. While Grant writes enthusiastically about the possibility in this letter, we also know it never came to pass. He tells his father that he's written to his former employer informing him of the paternal job offer. 

Grant also goes on emphatically about his love of Dorothy Houghton and his desire to get married. One can sense from the way he writes about Dot that his family was not entirely enthusiastic about his choice of wife. This attitude would affect their married life in Mankato.


Convois Autos.,
S.S.U. 647,
Par B.C.M.
France

January 24, 1919

Dear Dad:-

Your very nice, long letter of Dec. 24 reached me on the 18th of this month.  I was very glad to get it indeed though sorry to hear that you have been laid up with the “flu.”  I trust that you are well again by now and that the miserable stuff has left no ill effects.

(At this point Snader came in looking for an argument and he found one in here.  The argument started out on the moral effect of German air raids and long distance shelling in France as compared with allied air raids in Germany.  At 11 o’clock last evening the argument concluded having been switched to the Russian problem of today.  So it is now the morning of January 25th – Saturday, I think.)

But to business!  You have asked me two questions: (1) “How do you feel, are we going to be called upon for large quantities of steel, etc. for European reconstruction?” and (2) in regard to our future plans when your little tin solider comes trailing home.  You must have my reply to the second proposition by now.  However, I shall reply again in case the other never arrived.


I should be more than glad to return to Mankato and act as your assistant.  Two years of barbarians has not decreased my steam pressure, in fact I think it has added to it if anything.  You say it is steam you need.  I should like to try mine out under your guidance.  Then, too, I’ve got to get married.  I’m so sure as I ever have been of anything that Dot is my mate.  The past two years have been sufficient test.  And she really is a wonder, Dad.  If you have never appreciated how extremely lucky your son has been in a good many things he’s undertaken I’m sure your appreciation will dawn when you know my Dot better.  There are times when it all seems almost too good to be true and the time hangs very heavy on my hands waiting for a chance to get back into civilization again.  Your offer is just the thing I have been looking and hoping for.  You see I’m pretty proud of your life and work and I should like to do what ever I can to help out and make as much out of my life as you have yours.  Speaking of reconstruction, it is going to be necessary for me to do a little reconstructing myself before I get away from the present ways of thinking, speaking and acting but I’m sure that, with a little patience on your part, a good many of the army crudities can be entirely wiped out and a good many merits, started over here, further developed.  At any rate, I’m very desirous of making the attempt.

I have written Mr. Wells [of the Wells-Dickey Trust Company in Minneapolis] to the effect that I couldn’t see much of a future in his office; that I didn’t care to be a bond salesman all my life; that it was too much to expect that I should be put into any other department with as little experience as I have had; that asking for a salary large enough for two of us living in Minneapolis on what little value I could be to the company would again be asking too much; that it is quite essential that I marry; that my father had made me a very attractive proposition which seemed to fill the bill to better  advantage for all concerned.  I haven’t yet received Mr. Wells’ reply, though it is about due most any day now.


Now as to the steel question – I can give you my ideas in a very few words.  There is going to be more modern construction in Europe as soon as things have settled down a bit than ever before.  By modern construction I mean railroads and steel framed buildings in particular.  All of this development is going to call for steel.  The pressure of war needs has created a much larger knowledge of industry on the whole.  This means increased production, doesn’t it, when labor conditions become more stable?  But before production can be increased machinery must be constructed on a larger scale than ever before.  This calls for steel.

In France, I should say that there is a decided sentiment and activity under way for increased industrialism on, what we would call, a modern scale.  France has been a bit backward in this regard, comparing what we have seen of France with what we have seen of Germany.  In this new movement in France there is going to be a big demand for steel even outside of the devastated lands.  This war has done a great deal for France.  As you know that the wage-workers in France are in much better condition financially now than they ever were before?  Why?  Because we American soldiers together with the English soldiers have been responsible for putting a large sum of money into circulation.  France has got her eyes open.  But she is in a very embarrassing situation as a nation financially.  The capital of France together with her credit will undoubtedly have to be spent in rehabilitating devastated regions.  

Germany may get her steel for reconstruction and development from Austria and Hungary as usual.  However, I know nothing of the amounts of iron ore in these countries and the prices of mining and shipping same as compared to ours.  But Germany wouldn’t concern us much because she will be last on our list.  If our output of steel exceeds our demands plus the demands of the allied and neutral countries then perhaps we can accept a bit of German credit. 

England’s demand for reconstruction steel I should think would not exceed her war time demand.

Italy comes out of the war stronger than ever was before.  War needs have increased her productive capacity.  Italy like France has become more modernized by the war.  This, I should think, would mean a demand for steel greater than the supply available from sources cheaper than from the U.S.

Then there is all of Russia!  What’s going to become of Russia anyway?  Will her eyes ever be opened so that they are not crossed?  I am glad to see Russia represented in the Peace Congress and I hope it means that the allies are going to support one man in Russia during the reconstruction period any way.  If Russia once get settled I see no reason why the demand for steel would not exceed the available domestic production at a less price than we could offer.

This covers the larger European countries.  My conclusion, as you see, would be that there will be a large market for American made steel for the reconstruction of Europe.  This conclusion, however, is base on a lack of knowledge of the amount and prices and grades of steel production in Europe.  I really only know that the demands for steel will be great over here.  Anybody knows that – so you see I’ve not given you a bit of information.

Ambulances in Mainz

We are still in Mainz.  The last two weeks have indeed been easy ones.  During this period we have made but one trip of any size and that was a second convoy up to the prison camp at Giesson.  In addition we have two cars a day on call here in Mainz to answer what few requests there may be in this vicinity.  Being attached to the army headquarters this way gives us the cream in the ambulance line and leaves the dregs for those sections attached to army corps and divisions.  But the easy life with little work is beginning to tell on us.  The “esprit de corps” has suffered a bit.  However, many rumors of an early demobilization are refreshing and keep us all in pretty good spirits.  Some of us are putting on flesh (I’m gaining daily) and have never felt better, physically, in our lives.


Hap [Ahlers] is bigger and stronger than ever.  Johnny Taylor is no longer a boy of 17 but a grown up man of 19 years with big ideas and a great mind.  Fraser’s egotism of two years ago has developed into the finest kind of fellowship and good fun; etc. down the line.  We have all profited something.  However, these are not arguments in favor of war but in spite of war.

There are rumors that we will be on our way home in a month but also there are so many rumors to the contrary that we pay no more attention to them whatever.  I think our chances of being demobilized over here are very slim so that my trunk and other excess baggage will either have to be shipped home by the American Express Co. which is very expensive or I shall have to store it somewhere for further instructions.  I hope to be able to get into Paris within the next month to get these things straightened out.  I have several souvenirs which I don’t care to lose.  But, Dad, I’m not bringing home an arsenal nor a curio-shop (un magasin d’antiquites).  Mine are few but full of significance – for myself anyway.  Some of the boys are lugging 500 lbs of souvenirs around with them.  Wait until we have our cars take away from us and are made to carry only army issue on our backs!!!!  That time is drawing nigh.

Much love to you all,

Grant.

No comments:

Post a Comment