Friday, October 19, 2018

We’ve got ‘em, Mother. Without a doubt we’ve got ‘em!

As I've mentioned before, Grant Willard's brother, Harold, known as "Tib," wanted to serve in France, but couldn't pass a physical exam. Suffering from varicose veins, he had had an operation that caused a blood clot to break loose and settle in his lungs, causing a pulmonary embolus. He nearly died. Disabled and in great pain for months, Tib never got to France, and his frustration was apparent in his letters.


Convois Autos.,
S.S.U. 647,
Par B.C.M.,
France. 
Saturday – Oct. 19, 1918

Dearest Mother:-

Since writing you yesterday three things of importance have happened – 1st, things are so quiet on the front today that only 6 of our cars were sent out on relief which means another good night’s sleep for me. 2nd, mail has arrived. 3rd, the enclosed Xmas package coupons were passed out, one to each man.
Grant's mom
The coupon explains itself pretty well. All I have to do is to name the article (I was going to say articles until I saw the dimensions of the box). It hardly seems like it was worth while fussing over such a small thing but it would contain a fruit cake or some hard-center chocolates either and both of which I hunger for. Whatever you do don’t send wearing apparel. Had to cut my luggage down yesterday to conform to new regulations. I sent socks, underwear, gloves, wristlets, helmets galore into salvage simply because I cannot carry so much junk. Got my sheep-skin coat while I was in Paris and that is really all I need.



I got your nice, long, snappy letter dated Sept. 23 this morning, one from Tib dated Sept. 21, one from Dad enclosing a bunch of clippings and several others from various sections of the world. I certainly do feel sorry for Tib but he is doing the only right thing. I hesitate writing to him telling of things on this side because I know how he must feel. But above all else he must not come to this side until he is entirely well and strong again. I hope he understands that.  I thought I was pretty strong when I came over here but this underground life gets me every time particularly during rainy weather when one is soaked through a good share of the time with no opportunity of getting dried out. A man with anything the matter with his lungs is in danger continually.
Willard home in Mankato
The general situation looks better every day as you read in the papers. Our particular situation right here is most interesting and something real big is bound to happen soon. We’ve got ‘em, Mother.  Without a doubt we’ve got ‘em! They are still scrapping up here like demons and it may take another year to completely round them up and we will have to pay a price for them but it’s worth it. So just hang on tight, little mother, while we take this last bump in high speed. We are going right through to the Rhine anyway, and maybe further but I don’t think that will be necessary.
With a heart full of love,

Sonnie.

No comments:

Post a Comment