Thursday, May 24, 2018

We got a little more Boche gas than was good for us.

In May 1918 Grant entered a very busy period in which he had no time to write in his journal but continued to write letters to friends and family. Censorship of his letters continued to be an annoyance, and he tried throughout the war to find ways to get his letters to their recipients without being "cut to pieces."

In this letter he tries to assuage any panic his family might have felt when they read his name on a casualty list in the newspapers.  

Convois Autos.,
S.S.U. 647,
Par B.C.M.,
France.

Friday – May 24, 1918

Dear Family:-

I want to get this off by the Base Censor so will make it short and snappy and write you later at greater length. Dot tells me that one of my letters was all cut to pieces by the censor, so I’m taking no more chances.

I have already cabled you: “Don’t be alarmed at any casualty list. Am feeling fine.” You see, in a little action not long ago eight of us got a little more Boche gas than was good for us. We went to a hospital for a few days’ rest. The other day on looking through a casualty list I saw Jack Kendrick’s name and “severely wounded” after it. It frightened me somewhat because I know you see the lists and if his name appeared why not the rest of us. There were eight of us from 647 in at the same time: Kendrick, Jack Swain, Jack McEnnis, Speed Gaynor, Risley, Wallace McCrackin, Deveraux Dunlap and myself. It was nothing serious at all and hope you haven’t worried. We are all back on the job again feeling fine. It was so trivial that I had planned on saying nothing about it until I saw Kendrick’s name. Believe me when I say that we are perfectly all right again. We couldn’t help but get well in a hurry as they put us on liquid diets when none of us had eaten for two days previous. We would have starved if we hadn’t gotten well in a hurry.  No more hospitals for me. It’s a good story which I hope I can tell you in another letter.

Have been getting your letters quite regularly of late. Day before yesterday I received Dad’s mailed April 22 and Marion’s of the same date and one from Johnnie. Today I got a bunch of real old mail dated back in the earlier part of March. It must be about cleared up now. I hope you have received the letters which were supposed to have reached you during that month in which you received none.

The Liberty Loan was truly a great success, wasn’t it? If Germany’s success depended along on your ability to raise money she would have been defeated long ago. But we are doing our best over here and if you should ask me for my opinion I would say that things never looked so bright for the Allies as they do right now taking everything into consideration. I wish I could go more into detail but censorship regulations forbid.

Have a call now and will mail this on my way out. Will write at greater length tomorrow if all goes well.
 
Love,

Grant.

No comments:

Post a Comment