Thursday, April 19, 2018

We are out where the ground is well plowed and the hardware flying thick and fast.

On April 15, 1918, SSU 647 moved from the relative safety of its base at Neufchâteau to a new post at Vignot and was assigned to the 26th Infantry Division of the United States Army. After a few days in camp, he wrote home to Mankato.

Convois Autos.,
S.S.U. 647,
Par B.C.M.,
France.

Friday, Apr. 19, 1918

My dear family:-

Sometime ago (7 days) I started a letter to you all. While in the midst of it an order came in for movement within 24 hours. Wow, such a racket as was set up! Needless to say that letter was postponed. Not until today have I had a chance to continue and now only to begin over again as I left my own writing paper with the uncompleted letter back at our base.

We are no longer at Base #66 but out where the ground is well plowed and the hardware flying thick and fast. Gee! But it seems good to be back where you can “hear ‘em” again. We are not far from where we were in September – quiet compared to August but loud enough.

The section has been separated – ten cars are here in this sector, five in another sector and five idle. We have been up here five days, quite busy, and expect relief soon. Hap is with us. Astlett, another old 61 man, is also here. Johnnie and Fraser the other two 61ers are elsewhere – Johnnie is driving the staff car for the Lieut.

The announcement of Miss Mullen’s death on Good Friday knocked me cold and I haven’t quite recovered yet. She was like a mother to many of us and we will miss her more than I can tell. She was always working for others’ interests than her own and sacrifice on her part was a pleasure for her. She’s a great loss to us as well as to the work she was doing.

I am awfully glad that Mother and Tib got off to California all right. She needed the rest and the change ought to be good for Tib. A letter from her from Ontario [California] said they were enjoying their stay very much. She spoke of violets and roses in bloom. Even gorgeous France can’t boast of roses in this section but violets are plentiful. The woods are full of little white flowers, corresponding to our May flowers and the lilacs are beginning to bloom.

SSU 647 on the move
Was sitting in my car yesterday enjoying the first sunshine we had seen for weeks when a big, husky, burly American soldier passed down the street. He looked like someone I had seen before and sure enough when I called “Boots” he turned around and there stood “Boots” Wiederman in all his glory. The first man I have met over here from home. He was as surprised as I was. He is stationed with the engineers just a short way from our base and last night we had a long talk. Boots has been over just a month and so has met none of the other boys from home. I expect to run on to them most any day. Most of the boys we are working with around here are from the east and I haven’t met anybody I know yet.

Haven’t heard from you all now for about a month. Not a letter. But I know everything is all right at home as it is with us over here. The Saturday Evening Post has long since stopped coming as has the Literary Digest. The mails are probably very congested. Would suggest that you use my French address in your correspondence, as there is less congestion that way.

Hope mail begins coming in soon.

Much love,

Grant.

No comments:

Post a Comment