Thursday, March 8, 2018

Grandma Robbins


Grant Willard's maternal grandmother, Abigail Williams Baldwin Robbins, died in Mankato on the last day of 1917. She was 74 years old. Due to the slowness of wartime mail delivery, Grant didn't learn of the fact for weeks.

His Grandma Robbins was a transplanted New England Yankee from Chester, Vermont, where her family had lived for generations. She and her husband, George, moved to Minnesota some years after their daughter married W.D. Willard.

Convois Autos.,
S.S.U. 647,
Par B.C.M.,
France.

Friday, March 8, 1918

Dear Family:-

Don’t blame too much of the dirt on this paper to transportation. My supply of writing paper has diminished to such an extent that this letter will clean me out until I can get into the village for more.

There is no new information of interest. Since last writing I have found out that we are permitted to say that we are with the American Army at Base Hospital #66. The work is going along about as usual with no mishaps nor streaks of good fortune worth mentioning.

Got my first letter from you in about a month and a half day before yesterday. I guess it was the first of yours addressed to S.S.U. 647. Miss Mullen must hold much of my mail and I can’t understand why she doesn’t forward it. Maybe she never received my letter.

It must be very, very strange at home without Grandma Robbins. It’s very hard for me to get accustomed to the fact that she is not still in the old yellow home on Second Street. Yes, she was a wonderful pal, always ready for a laugh and a joy ride. I sincerely hope that there is nothing to the rumor that my coming over here as I did had considerable to do with bringing on the trouble.

Allen Alhers just came in from a trip with a very red face and says it is very cold out. Must go out and drain my car before it freezes.

Hope to hear from you again soon.

Much love,

Grant.

No comments:

Post a Comment