Friday, November 24, 2017

I took out $10,000 of the new government insurance against death or total disability.

A week before Thanksgiving, Grant wrote his family about life at Sandricourt, going on at length about the Y.M.C.A. in camp. This would have been of great interest to his father, W.D. Willard, who had been involved with the Y.M.C.A. during his college days at the University of Minnesota in the 1880s. W.D. became a founder and ardent supporter of the Mankato branch of the organization.



November 22, 1917

Dear Family:-

At last, after more than one month, I have received some mail – much mail. Mother’s letters inclosing notes from Dad dated Sept. 30, Oct. 8 and Oct. 21 have been received and Dad’s letter enclosing a 300 franc draft dated Sept. 27 is here. You may wager your last penny I was glad to get them. Letters from Dorothy, Lillian and Cousin Elsie, Mrs. Houghton, Alice Farr, Alice Robbins, Tib and others came at the same time. Also a fine box of fudge from Bernice Morrow and a big box containing socks, eats, tobacco and gum from Dot put in their appearance. It surely seemed like Xmas.

I want to answer a few questions now.


Are my clothes warm enough? Yes, such as they are. My big sheep-skin coat has come in most handy. The nights are cold and the days are growing colder. Good serviceable clothing, such as sweaters which can be worn under the uniform, wool socks large enough to go over another pair and come just below the knee, helmets, knitted mitten, wristlets, will all be very welcome to us over here. Those pajamas you sent me were great. Can you send me two more of the union kind?

Do you get our papers? I did get your papers regularly before the service changed. Since then I have received none.

Dad says: “I hope you don’t mean by your letter of Sept. 6 that our boys ought not to get into the fight. Have you any question as to the rightness of our position?” NO, not for a minute. I can find nothing in my diary for that date to give me inkling as to what I may have referred to. There has been considerable criticism of the general attitude on the part of American officers in this country but I am sure it will all pass over as soon as America has actually gotten into things and has taken over an active front. I may have meant that it would have been criminal for America to put her men into the trenches immediately upon arrival on this side without first receiving training at the hands of those nations with fighting experience. Now, however, it is the current opinion over here that the American troops who first arrived have had sufficient training and that the sooner they get into action the better it will be for all concerned. We are fighting for a great principle – democracy – and we can’t go too far toward the complete abolition of autocracy.

Friday – November 23
This story was suddenly interrupted yesterday by the call to retreat – 4:45 P.M. After retreat comes supper. You may wonder how it was that I had yesterday for P.M. off for writing letters. I wonder at it a bit myself. I simply didn’t report for detail but came right over to the Y.M.C.A. to write. Nothing has been said yet and I don’t expect there will be. We are working very hard at most anything which can be found for us to do toward making this camp comfortable for those who follow us. This morning’s work has been interrupted by the arrival of about 150 new men last night. I hope to be able to spend the morning right here in this chair.

A bit of what the Y.M.C.A. is doing right here in this particular camp might be of interest to you. In brief, it’s the “hangout” of the camp. Why do the fellows hangout here? Because it’s warm, due to the wood floor, double canvas wall and two stoves; because there are tables and chairs here on which papers and magazines of comparatively recent date are at our disposal; because there are many books to read, and books are a scarce article as a rule in a camp like this; because there is a Victrola with good records and a piano here; and last, but not least, is the canteen where Swiss chocolate, salted peanuts, crackers, tobacco and cigars may be purchased at minimum cost. This is supposed to be the busy part of the day but there are at least 25 men in here right now – most of them reading – (8:15 A.M.). In addition to furnishing all this to us the Y.M.C.A. furnishes weekly entertainments in which local talent is much in evidence. Occasionally we have regular entertainers from Paris. These are usually followed by a little feed consisting of hot coffee, sandwiches and apples. Once we had real American pies made by one of our American cooks in camp – and they were good. Then we have an occasional “sing” when the fellows gather around the piano and shout old songs at the top of their lungs. Every Sunday the doctor conducts a morning and evening service. These, I’m sorry to say, are not very popular as time goes on. He’s a fine man but not enough “one of them” to be able to get ahold of them. He is a very good French teacher. We have daily classes in French here in this room and the major has made it compulsory for every man to join a class.

Now I must hurry this letter along for I want to finish it before class begins. There is one more thing I want to get off my chest before quitting.

Yesterday I took out $10,000 of the new government insurance. It is, of course, war insurance against death or total disability. My policy is to be taken out in favor of Mother. In case of my death while this war still exists she would get $10,000 plus the interest in monthly installments over a period of 20 years. Ten thousand is the maximum limit. The policy is good for 5 years after the termination of the war during which time it may be transferred into a regular policy on a basis not yet known to us. In case of the death of the beneficiary the insurance is transferable to any member of the family next in line. I pay monthly a premium of $6.50 which is deducted from my pay. Certainly no insurance could be cheaper and I figure that the maximum is the least I can do for those who have owned and run me for so long.

I have said quite enough for this time. Am sending this letter into Paris to be mailed for reasons which I think will be obvious to you.

Much love,

Grant.

c/o Miss E. G. Mullen
Hotel Lotti
Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment